Eldorado by Doris Lessing

Author: Doris Lessing
Genre: psychological
Published: 1962
Personal rating: 5/5


This short novel, some would call it a novella, packs quite a punch. It's the first book by Doris Lessing I've ever read, and I immediately see why she's a Nobel Prize winner. Her prose is beautiful. It's simple and complex at the same time.

The whole book revolves around a family of three and the relationships between them. Those relationships get very tense when the father of the family gets obsessed with finding gold. For a very long time, I thought I knew what the twist at the end would be. Boy, was I wrong. But good wrong, as I think Doris Lessing's ending is far more beautiful, fitting, and life-like than my imagined ending would have been.

If you want to read a Nobel Prize winner, or a book by Doris Lessing, pick this one. It's great. I can't wait to read more of Doris Lessing. This one is very much recommended.


Did you review this book? Please leave a link in the comments and I will add it to my post.

This review was cross-posted on my own blog: Bookworms and tea lovers. Please stop by for a visit.

No comments




© Read the NobelsMaira Gall